Maharaj

 Omniscience  ·  Omnipresence  ·  Omnipotence  ·  Other Divine Lilas  ·  Mahasamadhi Lila  ·  After Mahasamadhi  
Divine Reality


 



Saved From Suicide


Baba and Umadatt Shukla were going to Shukla's house by tonga (horse-drawn carriage). When they came to a wooden bridge over the Gomti River, Baba said, "Shukla, you were going to drown yourself in Gomti one day? Why? Tell Me." Shukla felt ashamed to answer his question, so he kept quiet. Baba repeated the same question three times. Finally Shukla told the story: "When I was about sixteen years old, I did not know you Baba. I was determined to commit suicide by drowning myself in the Gomti. When it was very dark, I stood on the bridge at a place where the river was very deep. I was about to jump into the river when the wind blew very hard and a bright light illuminated the darkness. This unusual phenomenon startled me. My body trembled so much that I lost the courage to commit suicide and I went back home." He also told Baba the reasons why he wished to end his life. When Baba heard this, he quoted from the Ramayana, "A strong wind blew. That was God's light." Baba had saved Shukla's life twenty years before he knew him.




·